Democratic campaign boss says no abortion litmus test
WASHINGTON—Democrats will not withhold campaign funds from pro-life candidates running for elected office, Rep. Ben Ray Luján, D-N.M., chairman of the Democrats’ House campaign arm, told The Hill on Monday. “There is not a litmus test for Democratic candidates,” Luján said. “As we look at candidates across the country, you need to make sure you have candidates that fit the district, that can win in these districts across America.” Democrats lost their majority in the House in 2010 and have been playing catch-up ever since. Now with Republicans in control of the House, the Senate, and the White House, Democrats are looking for a winning strategy for 2018. Luján, now in his second term leading the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, said he will not withhold funds from pro-life candidates because Democrats need to cast a wide net to pick up 24 seats in 2018 and regain control of the House. His comments conflict with those of Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez, who said earlier this year being pro-abortion was “non-negotiable” for Democrats. Polls suggest around 28 percent of Democrats are pro-life. Rep. Dan Lipinski, D-Ill., is the only outspoken pro-life House Democrat.
If you enjoyed this article and would like to support WORLD's brand of Biblically sound journalism, click here.