Actor strike ends after tentative studio deal
Negotiators for the actors union SAG-AFTRA confirmed a tentative three-year contract deal on Wednesday with the Alliance of Motion Picture and TV Producers, ending the union’s nearly four-month-long strike. The agreement comes over a month after the Writers Guild of America ended its nearly five-month strike on Hollywood studios and late-night shows. Union leaders said full details of the deal will not be released until the SAG-AFTRA’s National Board reviews the contract on Friday. A vote by members is expected as soon as next week. Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass said she’s looking forward to the city’s economy rebounding. With studios closed, California officials estimate a $5 billion loss from local economies, with Hollywood adjacent services like chauffeurs and catering companies stalling out during the strike.
Do we know anything about the contract? The union did confirm the deal includes increases to minimum salaries and bonuses from streaming services. The union further confirmed that the deal includes protections against unauthorized AI recreations of actors. Union President Fran Drescher said the agreement is valued at more than $1 billion and is three times larger than the last round of contracts.
Dig deeper: Read Collin Garbarino’s report on what made writers and actors strike earlier this year.
If you enjoyed this article and would like to support WORLD's brand of Biblically sound journalism, click here.
An actual newsletter worth subscribing to instead of just a collection of links. —AdamSign up to receive The Sift email newsletter each weekday morning for the latest headlines from WORLD’s breaking news team.