UN revises death toll in Libyan floods
The UN on Sunday revised a report to say the flooding had killed nearly 4,000 people—less than half the number it previously reported—while more than 9,000 were still missing, according to the World Health Organization. The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Aid on Saturday released a report stating that at least 11,300 people had died, citing the Libyan Red Crescent. The death toll is expected to fluctuate as search and recovery missions continue, UN spokesman Farhan Haq told CNN.
What dangers are displaced people facing now? Libyan authorities said water is polluted in areas hit hard by the floods, and people there could be exposed to waterborne diseases. Flood waters also shifted landmines throughout the region that are left over from years of conflict, according to the UN. More than 40,000 people have been displaced, according to the UN International Organization for Migration.
Dig deeper: From the WORLD archives, read Onize Ohikere’s report in World Tour on Libya’s civil war.
An actual newsletter worth subscribing to instead of just a collection of links. —AdamSign up to receive The Sift email newsletter each weekday morning for the latest headlines from WORLD’s breaking news team.